Today was great. I made pumpkin pie and pumpkin pie pops for dessert. They taste awesome. ^_^
For the pumpkin pie I used canned pumpkin and a homemade pie crust. The reason I am excited is because I made the crust from scratch and it is awesome. I usually buy the crust because pumpkin pie is the only pie I bake but today has changed that.
I got the pie crust recipe from http://www.chow.com/recipes/10746-basic-pie-dough.
Here’s the recipe for homemade pie crust:
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
1 1/2 Cups of all purpose flour
1 Teaspoon of sugar
1/4 Teaspoon of salt(fine not sea salt)
1 Stick of butter
4-5 Tablespoons of water
WHAT TO DO:
1. Mix the dry ingredients.
2. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to flour. Cut the butter into the flour mix until it is yellowish and pea sized.
3. Add 4 tablespoons of water.* Combine to form a dough ball. Note: * If it is too dry to hold it’s shape add last tablespoon of water.
4. Flatten ball of dough into a disk. Wrap in seran wrap and refrigerate for 30 mins or more.
5. Roll out dough and place in pie pan. Then fill with whatever filling you prefer and bake as directed.
For the pumpkin, I followed the recipe on the can.
Using the same recipe, some cookie cutters, and lollipop sticks you can make pumpkin pie pops.
For pie pops:
1. Preheat oven to 375 deggrees. Roll out the dough.
2. Cut your mini pie rounds with cookie cutters.
3. Lay out the single pieces leaving room on the cookie sheet for the sticks.
4. Lay lollipop sick on dough and press down lightly. Add a dollop of pie filling.
5. Top with another piece of pie dough and use a lollipop stick to crimp shut. Top with egg wash and pop into oven.
6. Bake until edges are golden brown, about 12 to 15 mins.
It was fun, easy, and delicious. Best part is that anyone can do it. It is kid friendly fun. ^_^ And did I mention it is fun to eat.