As you may or may not know Summer is Birthday season, especially in my house. Currently, there are only two full on Summer birthdays but they are 4 days apart. Two out of four is quite exciting since there is only one child in that mix. ^_^
This year I decided to make Birthday Cupcakes. When I looked around the web I found a ton of fun ideas for stacking and showcasing cupcakes. The problem is that I am a stay at home mom with an active and helpful toddler. That means, I don’t have hours and hours to wrap a ton of tiny boxes with wrapping paper or tissue paper. I love the idea of showcasing my hard work but I don’t think I should work three to four times as hard to do it.
Here is what I came up with to showcase cupcakes without adding a lot more work to my plate.
What You’ll Need:
-Basic Plastic Cake Stand (reusable is better)
-Ribbon in Two different colors and widths (it is best to use the same colors scheme as your party)
The ribbons I used:
1. Set up the cake stand. This will make everything easier.
2. Measure the ribbon. What I did was just put a little bit of glue on the end of the ribbon and glued it to the stand. Then I went all the way around the first section. I gave myself some wiggle room by adding half an inch to overlap. Then I pulled it off the stand to cut.
3. Cut the ribbon. Measure the second ribbon by laying it on top of the first and making each end meet. Once both ribbons are cut you are ready to begin. (You can measure and cut the ribbon for each layer before going on to the next step. For some people it is easier to do it one by one. Do what you prefer.)
4. Take the gluestick and cover the underside of the skinnier ribbon.
5. Place the skinnier ribbon in the center of the wider ribbon and press. This will give you a simple but elegant look.
6. Let it dry (it won’t take long).
7. Add glue to top half of the back of the wider ribbon. The top half works better for the cupcake stand I have but you can always add more if you want. I just think letting the bottom half hang looks nice.
8. Glue the edge to the stand and press.
9. Slowly go around the edge and press ribbon to glue it on. You may need a little extra glue depending on how quickly you do it. Make sure the ribbon meets the top edge of the stand for consistency.
10. Once you have gone all the way around add a little bit of extra glue to end where it will overlap and press. This will help it stick a lot better. Holding this area for a few seconds sticks it together better. You can also use a clothespin or something similar to clip it.
11. Repeat steps 7-10 to finish decorating the stand.
12. Add cupcakes or other desserts and enjoy!
The finished product is simple with sleek and elegant accents. This little touch can go a long way to personalizing the dessert/cupcake stand for your event. The other great thing is that once you are done if you want to use it for another event it is easy to change the colors. Just pull off the ribbon, wash well (paying particular attention to the area where you glued the ribbon) and dry. Then you are ready to decorate it again.
The other great thing is that you can get as creative as you want. The basic design is a perfect base for a lot of different styles so get creative and have fun.
Thanks for reading! ^_^